In an economy of knowledge, it seems essential to be able to protect our industrial properties. Intellectual Property titles are the key for a company’s development and constitute a shield in case of industrial conflict. On the other hand Open Innovation seems to rely on a sharing and exchange, which threatens the company’s safety…
Intellectual Property Rights and Open Innovation in business: from exclusivity to complementarity?
Intellectual Property, and particularly the industrial one, has many advantages, including the submission of patents to protect your creations. As the Worldwide Intellectual Property Organization says, the patents enable your business to:
• Establish exclusive rights allowing your company to use this innovation during 20 years, but also to concede or sell this license to a third legal entity
• Take a stronger position on the market and a give a power of negotiation by reducing the competition on this market and concluding more cross-licensing agreements
• Increase the reputation of your company, as it will be recognized for its ability to innovate and develop new products or services
Open Innovation in my company: it works!
Innovating in business thanks to Open Innovation is easy if you accept its notion of sharing. Nowadays, one notices an innovation freeze in new technologies due to an excessive manipulation of Intellectual Property. Indeed, the WIPO observed in 2015 a record in terms of patent submissions with 2.9 millions handing-in.
As a company, Open Innovation system raises many questions, such as :
• How can I protect my business and products without Intellectual Property titles?
• Is my company weakened when sharing a license or an Intellectual Property title?
Discover in this White Paper how Open Innovation platforms can answer your questions thanks to an anonymous process, avoiding risks of knowledge loss. Companies that want to launch their products more quickly on the market can’t rely on their own property of their internal resources anymore. On the contrary, they must accumulate opportunities!